The Best Resources for Starting a Business
If you have the determination and a can-do attitude, you’re already on the right path to starting a successful business. But who doesn’t want a little extra help? That’s where our favorite resources for starting a business come in handy. Whether you need an inspirational read or want to build your network of potential customers, there’s a resource for you.
Entrepreneur Resources Online
Online, many reputable resources can help entrepreneurs kick-start their ideas.
To help you build your network, visit:
- LinkedIn—Create a profile to stay up to date on posts from your favorite businesses and to connect with other professionals. This is a great platform to let others know about your services or products.
- Census Data—Access census information and learn more about the demographics of a community including population and the economy. This is a helpful way to understand how your business might succeed in a given location
For reliable industry updates, read:
- Harvard Business Review—A helpful resource for general management and trustworthy articles to answer your everyday questions. Stay informed and up to date on industry news.
For small business management support, try:
- IRS Small Business Portal—Find answers to all your burning small business questions, including taxes and access to necessary forms. The site is replete with helpful online tools and publications.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office—Here you can have U.S. patents granted and trademarks registered. This is important as you decide names and create products along the way!
- Small Business Administration—This federal agency’s website provides resources to help entrepreneurs start and grow their companies with business guides, funding programs, local assistance and more. Make this your go-to source for necessary small business resources.
Best Books for Starting a Business
For inspiration, new ideas and actionable steps, pick up a book with business strategies and stories from someone who once had a business idea, just like you, and turned it into something big. There is a plethora of options for readers looking to start a business. Below are some of the best books for entrepreneurs that cover a range of topics. Each book has tips for every type of entrepreneur.
The Blue Ocean Strategy—By W. Chan Kim
This book serves as a reminder of the heavy competition that can keep any new business from rising to the top and implores entrepreneurs to find a new market space and avoid tough competition. The book gives the reader helpful tips for creating their own space and helps one evaluate their core business idea and intended customers.
Pixar co-founder Ed Catmull discusses the environmental ideals that can be cultivated to manage and foster creativity. This is the perfect read for anyone interested in starting a business centered around creativity. Anyone tasked with managing others will gain insights to build a positive company culture and navigate hurdles.
This book is all about how to turn an idea into reality with actionable steps. From conceiving an idea to writing the pitch, Kawasaki discusses it all. This is a must-read for anyone in need of inspiration to take the next step to make their business dream a reality.
The Lean Startup—By Eric Ries
Ries aims to help new businesses avoid the unfortunate pitfall of failing within their first year. He believes in the value of testing products and ideas on a small scale before going all in to make sure there is a need in the market. This book offers a new approach to thinking about the organization of a business and the creation of a product and offers strategies to make each aspect more efficient.
For even more helpful resources, check out some of the best apps for entrepreneurs. Find apps for anything from work and financial management to meditation and general organization.
Make Entrepreneur Support Easy to Find
Books, articles, social networks, and more are available to entrepreneurs—and many of those resources are free! Utilize these tools to make your business a success. Office Evolution can also serve as a vital business development tool because it’s the perfect place to connect with a network of other ambitious professionals. At Office Evolution, you can host meetings, rent a private office to have a workspace away from home, have a safe and secure business address, and connect with other like-minded entrepreneurs.
Learn more about how Office Evolution can help make your business dreams come true. Schedule a tour at an Office Evolution near you.